How do I assign an IP address in Plesk?
This article will walk you through moving a domain on your DVDV server from one IP address to another.
This article applies to additional IP addresses purchased from (mt) Media Temple. See Ordering additional IP addresses for details.
If your site is currently live on your DV server, you'll want to lower your TTL on your zone file about 12 hours prior to proceeding.
To change the IP address hosting a live site on your DV server, you'll first want to update your DNS information in the Account Center. If you don't use (mt) Media Temple's DNS, you will need to update your zone file with your new IP manually with the DNS host.
It is strongly advised you lower your TTL at least 12 hours before proceeding!
- Sign into the Account Center.
- Select the domain you want to move to a new IP address.
- In the DNS & Zone Files section, select Point to Another Server.
- Select the entry that lists your DV server on the left, and your new IP on the right.
- Click next.
Please proceed to the next steps immediately! Note that once you make this change and it begins to propagate, your site will be down until you configure it to use the new IP in Plesk.
Assign IP Address
Using the Control Panel or Power User Mode
- Log into Plesk, then into the Plesk Control Panel for your domain.
- Click on the Server tab.
- Under Tools & Resources, click IP Addresses.
- In the Default site drop-down menu, select the site you'd like to set as the default for this IP and click OK.
Using the Server Administration Panel
You must have the Server Administration Panel enabled. For instructions, please see: How can I change my Plesk interface?
- Log into the Plesk Server Administration Panel.
- Click on Subscriptions.
- Click on the domain you'd like to modify.
- Click on the tab that reads Change Hosting Settings.
- Select the new IP address in the drop down menu labeled IP address.
- Click the OK button to save your changes.
Your domain is now on the new IP address! If you did not lower your TTL before following this article, you may notice sporadic site availability for the next 12 hours until your DNS propagation completes.