Closing your IP address add-on service
A single (dv) Dedicated-Virtual or (ve) Server from (mt) Media Temple can accommodate up to 16 unique IP addresses. In the past, there were a handful of reasons for a systems administrator to maintain multiple IPs. However, things are changing. Here are just a few considerations:
- The supply of IPv4 addresses is rapidly dwindling. Click here to read more.
- Since the supply of available IPv4 addresses is going down, the cost per unit is going up across all providers.
- Extensive research has shown that having a unique IP address for each individual domain is not necessary (or effective) when it comes to SEO and internet marketing. Google has publicly stated that it does not consider unique IP addresses in its algorithm, contrary to previous assumptions regarding SEO.
- In the past, one of the main reasons for adding additional IPs was to accommodate SSL certificates. However, at this time, most modern servers offer Server Name Indication (SNI). This technology allows you to use multiple SSL certificates on a single IP.
SNI has been included by default on all (dv) Dedicated-Virtual 4.0 Servers with Plesk version 10.3.1 or later; as such, you no longer need multiple IP addresses to utilize multiple SSL certificates on your (dv) 4.0.
Closing an IP address add-on service
To remove an additional IP address from your server, please do not submit a request to close. Instead, please submit a support request (at the attention of our billing administrators) through your AccountCenter with the following information:
- Service you wish to remove the IP address from
- Specific IP address to remove from your server
- Request and authorization to close the add-on service
All requests must come from the listed owner of your (mt) Media Temple account. Please do not mark the support request as "resolved" until you receive a confirmation from us informing you that your request has been completed.
Once we receive your request, we will remove the IP address you specify and will cancel any future charges for the IP address add-on service.