How do I transfer my domain registration to or from (mt) Media Temple?
This article outlines the general steps for transferring a domain registration. It is relevant for transfers both to (mt) Media Temple and away from (mt) Media Temple.
(mt) Media Temple is able to register or accept transfers for .com, .org, .net, .info, .biz, .co, and .me domain names only.
Registration transfer process
Terminology pointer: The old registrar is considered the "losing registrar." The new registrar is considered the "winning registrar."
- Check on the status of the domain to be transferred. It must be unlocked with the current registrar. It must be at least 60 days past the registration date or last transfer with the losing registrar. You may get lucky and be able to do a transfer closer to your renewal date, but (mt) Media Temple has no control over how quickly Wild West Domains (our affiliated registrar) will process your transfer request, and it is known to sometimes take more than a week.
If (mt) Media Temple is the losing registrar, you can administrate your domain locking from the AccountCenter. Click on that domain, then on Domain Locking.
- Double-check that the listed administrative contact email for the domain is valid and functional. Turn off WHOIS information privacy if it is currently turned on. You can find the listed administrative contact email by checking your WHOIS information.
If (mt) Media Temple is the losing registrar, click on your domain in the AccountCenter, then on Edit WHOIS Contact Info.
- You must obtain your authorization code from the losing registrar (sometimes called the EPP code). You must enter this code via the method specified in the transfer email you receive.
If (mt) Media Temple is the losing registrar, you can obtain your authorization code in the AccountCenter. Click on your primary domain, then on Auth Code.
Then, click on Email Auth Code to email it to the administrative contact.
- Start your transfer request with the winning registrar. The winning registrar will then initiate a transfer request to the losing registrar.
If (mt) Media Temple is the winning registrar, you can start a transfer request through the AccountCenter.
- Hover over the Domains tab.
- Click on Add New Domain or Service.
- Select the option to Transfer Registration and click the Transfer Domain button.
- Type in your domain name. Select whether you want to add another server or not. Then, click Next Step.
- Select which hosting service you want to point the domain toward. Click Next Step. You may get a warning about the MX record. Read the warning, select the checkbox, and click Next Step. If you are already hosting the domain on a (mt) server, be sure to click the Don't modify DNS button.
- Approve the charges and click next.
- The winning registrar sends an email to the administrative contact email address listed in the WHOIS information for the domain.
If you are transferring your domain to (mt) Media Temple, the message you receive will be similar to the one below; this message will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sample Transfer Email
DOMAIN NAME TRANSFER - Initial Authorization for Registrar Transfer
Re: Transfer of MT-EXAMPLE.COM
Dear Domain Owner,
Media Temple received a request on February 26, 2014 for us to become the new registrar of record.
You received this message because you're listed as the Registered Name Holder or Administrative contact for this domain name.
To proceed with this transfer, you must agree to enter into a new Registration Agreement with us. Review the full terms and conditions of the Agreement at:
After you enter into the Agreement, the transfer will take place within five (5) calendar days unless the current registrar of record denies the request.
IMPORTANT: If the steps below are not completed, the domain name(s) listed above will NOT be transferred to us.
TO PROCEED WITH THE TRANSFER, you must:
1. Go to the Media Temple Domain Manager (https://mya.securepaynet.net/...(URL String)) and log in with your customer number and password. Please check your Order Confirmation for Account Information.
2. Select PENDING TRANSFERS from the Domains tab.
3. Select the domain to transfer, and then click AUTHORIZE.
When authorizing this transfer, you'll be prompted to provide the following Transfer IDs:
Transaction ID: 1234567890
Security Code: ABCD12345
NOTE: After a transfer is complete, you cannot transfer it to another registrar for 60 days, apart from a transfer back to the original registrar in cases where both registrars so agree or where a decision in the dispute resolution process so directs.
If you DO NOT WANT the transfer to proceed, then don't respond to this message.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact us by email at email@example.com, or by phone at 877-578-4000.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Copyright (c) 2014 Media Temple. All rights reserved.
- If you are transferring a domain to (mt) Media Temple, you will need to complete a transfer verification process through your AccountCenter to complete the transfer. This process involves a login to a separate Securepaynet control panel to verify the transfer, per the steps below.
- First, navigate to your domain's control panel in the AccountCenter.
- Next, click on the "Securepaynet Login Credentials" button.
- You will need to use these credentials to log in. Keep them handy and click the "here" link to proceed (or use the URL provided in the transfer email).
- Log in to the Securepaynet Control Panel.
You may first see a prompt to create an account PIN such as the one below.
This is set up with our affiliated registrar (should you need to contact Wild West Domains directly) and is NOT used as a (mt) Media Temple support pin.
- From the Securepaynet control panel, navigate to the Domains tab, and select Transfers.
- Your domain will show under the Pending Transfers In section. Select Authorize Transfer to proceed.
- Select Add Transfer Codes from the Authorize Transfer screen.
- On the Add Transfer Codes screen, enter the ID and Security code emailed to you in Step 5.
- After adding your transfer codes, select Next on the Authorize Transfer screen.
- Next, you will need to enter the domain authorization code (also sometimes called an EPP Code) obtained from the losing registrar in Step 3. After providing your authorization code, select Finish to continue.
Once all credentials have been entered correctly, the transfer status will change to "Processing. No action needed."
- To complete the transfer, an ICANN-mandated domain validation will be required after the domain transfer credentials have been entered. You will receive an email sent to the address listed on the WHOIS record for the Owner contact.
- Your domain transfer may take up to two weeks to be processed by Wild West Domains. It generally does not take quite that long, but it is a good idea to allow for that much time. At the end of the transfer process, your winning registrar will be your official new registrar.
- You will not be able to make any changes to your WHOIS or DNS information during a transfer, so it's a good idea to make those changes first. Transferring your domain registration will NOT update your nameservers, so if you are planning to change hosts, you should update your nameservers before starting the registration transfer.
- If your registration expires with the losing registrar before the transfer is completed, you will need to renew with the losing registrar. You must then wait 60 days before attempting another transfer.
- A (mt) Media Temple registration transfer request will remain active for five days. If you need the transfer request re-sent for any reason, wait five days and then contact (mt) Media Temple support to get your transfer re-initiated, for no additional cost.